lunes, 5 de mayo de 2008

Subway during rush hour=Sardines in a can

Today was quite productive. i got up and out of the house about 10 in the morning to be at my orientation at a small cafe next to the Palacio del Congreso. Congress Building. i had to be there at 11. i also got to see where the office of GIC Argentina is (the program i am with). after that i had some free time before my meeting with L.I.F.E. (the organization i will be volunteering for). so me and a few friends i meet at the orientation went exploring. it was cool...a lot of walking though. Buenos Aires really reminds me of Paris. the city is amazing with the old architecture with tall modern buildings sporadically appearing over the tops of the old buildings. i had the best panini of my life for lunch (which was about 3 in the afternoon). i went to a meeting a learned a bit more about L.I.F.E. and i will be working in poor areas around BA. They do a lot of different activities throughout the week, so i am not sure yet exactly what i will be doing, but i believe i can start wednesday!

i have also discovered why i get so attached to places i travel. when i go to a place instead of taking a couple weeks to get warmed up to...it takes about a day. i love exploring and getting to know places and meeting people and i feel like i have already been here for a month but it has only been 2 days. for some reason i am not afraid to just go walking around randomly even though i am not completely fluent in spanish...so it is definitely going to be difficult to leave in a month and it is all about making the best of my time while i am here! i dont want to miss out on stuff because i am nervous to go out or afraid...i have the same chance of getting killed here by the crazy drivers than i do in union...

when i was coming back home from my orientations i took the subte...and when those doors open to get in, it is every man, woman, and child for themselves! it is crazy...i was squashed in a corner for the first 5 stops until we started nearing the end of the line where i get off...it reminded my of panama riding the Diablo Rojo (Bus public transportation) when you try and fit as many people in one place as possible. But there was a really pretty woman beside me so it was that bad! haha...

Today was a great day and i cant wait to start my volunteer work!!! And still no word on my luggage! God Bless.

2 comentarios:

J. Lafreniere dijo...

Glad you're having fun bud; have fun exploring as a modern day Balboa. Good luck with everything, including the luggage issue. Have fun working on your spanish while you can, because once you get back, it's time to start greek. Miss you bro. Later.

Sincerely,
Justin

Leslie Virginia dijo...

Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Do they actually celebrate that there?

It doesn't surprise me a bit that you already made friends with people and with the city. Where are the other volunteers from? And I really hope you are taking pictures...

I went to my high school today and got to see my Spanish teacher. I told her that much of what she taught me helped me survive college Spanish, and also mentioned that I had a friend in Argentina--and now she's praying for you as well! I'm telling you...if you don't get that flipping baggage soon...

Keep staying safe and having fun! I can't wait to hear about the orphanage. :)

(P.S. Glad my comments are entertaining you. Your blogs are entertaining as well, if not a breeder of envy. I wish I were there. But anyway. Please keep updating!)